Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Would Choose the Snow Geese - Tamar



Would I rather fly with the snow geese or ride a bus?

I noticed on my way to work last week that the snow geese were back in Steveston. Everyone enjoys a respite in this little village, and to see hundreds of these birds undulate across the sky in the spring and the fall is just one of the things that make Steveson so special and unique. Unlike the Canada Geese who honk their way below the clouds in v-shaped military formation, the snow geese just glide like the ribbons held by cute little gymnastic teams going for the gold, and each trick, each routine, is different from the previous one - I am awed as I watch.

Now to get to work in Steveston, I had to ride a bus. I suppose I was lucky enough to get offered the last seat in this tin can full of people, but since the person in the window seat had to remove her dripping wet unbrella from the seat so I could sit down, I had the most uncharitable comments running through my mind as to where she could put her umbrella from now on. I moved toward the back of the bus, and squeezed into the middle of a 3-seat bench, trying to make myself small enough so I didn't contact the two elderly women that were bracketing me.

Please don't travel by bus if you keep your winter coat in a box of mothballs. Please don't travel by bus if you've just eaten a bucket of curry and drank a pitcher of garlic. Please don't travel by bus if you've retained all the cigarette smoke you've ever exhaled as a souvenir of every smoke you've had since you were 12 years old and used to sneak behind the barn with your older cousin to light one up.

But, more importantly, most importantly of all, please don't travel by bus if you have a virus, are coughing and sneezing constantly, and tend to release foul bubbly farts with each muscle spasm that forces all your little baby viruses into the air around you.

Leading to the question - would I rather fly with the snow geese or ride a bus. Well, faithful reader, you go figure out than one for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. I groaned because I can imagine all those baby viruses trying to take hold in your body! Ugh! This one is easy - I'd be flying if I could, wherever I could, anytime I could! Great story, Tamar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took the words out of my mind. So Snow geese : here we come!!!! Enjoyed it very much, keep it up. Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bus ride? I could actually visualize your predicament. lol
    Personally, I'd rather fly with the snow geese, despite the......greenhouse emissions!!!! Can't be as bad as garlic and curry.
    So funny Tamar. I can see where the boys get their sense of humour.
    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words certainly create pictures in my mind. Keep up the good work !!!!..I, too, would rather fly with snow geese !!!

    ReplyDelete