Friday, February 5, 2010

I Don't Smell Anything, Do You?

This past week, we noticed a faint odor emanating from somewhere unknown near our back door. It wasn't the dogs, as Howard assumed, and it wasn't Charlie the rat. Days passed and the faint odor became a bit more rancid, and still we had no idea what it was - until my husband discovered the plug to the freezer had become separated from the wall. The proof of that particular pudding hit me in the face when I walked in after a hard day's work.

"Ok then," I said. "Let's haul this outdoors and bag all the stuff so we can get rid of it." (Thank heavens there wasn't a lot of food involved.)

"No," he said. "I just plugged it back in. The stuff will freeze, the smell will disappear, and we can just put it out with the garbage on Wednesday."

Well, that sounded like a great idea, from a clever shipwright who is full of great ideas. However, the smell didn't quite disappear, although it did settle down a tad. Just keep the lid on til Wednesday.

Garbage day came, not soon enough. Howard was smart enough to skedaddle off to work without doing the garbage thingie, so it was up to me to tackle the job. I hauled in a huge breath, and grabbed a plastic baggie that used to have un-decomposing meat in it.

Oh oh. The top of the baggie came off in my hands, leaving its contents, along with the rest of our yummies, frozen solid to the bottom of the freezer. I thought maybe I would need a jackhammer to loosen this mess. Down goes the lid again, and I run outdoors to get a good intake of cool fresh air, thanking the gods that I had to go to work in a little while.

So this morning, I dragged the smelly offender outdoors to await another thaw, at least a partial thaw, that would allow me to double-triple-quadruple garbage bag the remains.

Life is good.

By the way, if you know anyone who wants to buy a freezer, let me know. It's going cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment