Monday, June 8, 2009

A Day at Work - Tamar

Crafts ‘n’More is the best little store in Richmond, if not in the whole of Canada, and not only because I work there, although that is probably a plus. We sell yarn and other miscellaneous items, which I categorize into the n’More part, and we’re kept busy stocking shelves, building displays, cha- chinging the cash register, and answering stupid questions.

We have baseball hats with ‘Crafts’n’More’ embroidered on them. We wear aprons with Crafts’n’More embroidered on them, not to mention t-shirts and vests. Yesterday I was almost bottoms up in a vast box of yarn looking for the invoice when a customer came and tapped me on the shoulder. I stood up, resplendent in my Crafts’n’More cap, t-shirt, and apron.

“Excuse me, do you work here?”

The chances of me going into a retail establishment, donning their employees’ garb, and sweating my way through a hot day of stuffing yarn with no possibility of a pay check and a good chance of being dragged away in a straight jacket are very slim.

“Only when the boss is looking,” I answer. “How can I help you?”

“Do you sell turkey basters?”

“No, but I can sell you the yarn to knit one."


I don’t know why some people just give me a strange look and back away. I straighten my cap, tighten my apron strings, and dive once again into my box of handpainted yarn.

1 comment:

  1. I know that about ignorant asses who ask if you work there and you're like a walking advertisement for the place. I've asked those people, too ... I'm one of the dummies! LOL It's just a way to get your attention to see if you're available when obviously you aren't but I can't find anyone else and your attire tells me that maybe possibly this poor wretch can help me out. So I interrupt with "Do you work here?" instead of the "get your ass out of that box and help me" that I'm really thinking.

    Yep, that's me, Roxie.

    ReplyDelete